09 August 2010

Strawberries in the Summertime

I went gallery hopping in DUMBO with a friend this weekend. To be honest, I didn't expect much... I thought it would be ultra-hip and less than inspiring... but I found an amazing gallery filled with prints and books! I think in the face of contemporary art making practices that I struggle with, prints, and books are a way for me to keep a foot in the traditional while exploring the contemporary. I got to think here. These are some images of pieces that challenged me or made me think more about my own art practices and themes.


Ellen Weiner- Blue History

Emily Martin- Siftings

Sarah Stengle- Five Fragments from a Forest Sanctuary

2 comments:

  1. Dear Emily Jane,
    I realize the post is two years old but I just discovered it! It's wonderful that you're an artist and a scientist. Thank you so much for appreciating and posting my work on your blog. It's very encouraging. Perhaps you feel, as I do, that the connections between art and science are so ancient they were one practice in early human civilizations, and still are, on a higher level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your note! I am particularly interested in the creativity that's necessary for both-- and necessary to do great work in any field. I also am just generally fascinated by work that makes me think about the border between art imagery and science images -- part of the beauty and similarities they share lie in their common cultural history, as you mentioned.

    I had a great time at that gallery and really like your work- Keep going! Thanks again for posting!

    ReplyDelete