21 April 2010

that what? that life is hectic

I had a great conversation today about one of my favorite photographers, August Sander, and I thought I'd share it with you.

If you haven't heard of him: He documented society as he saw it, in all of its forms. The Weimar Republic was a hodge podge of ideas, parties, and people. It's the name we've given the government between 1919 and Hitler's rise to power and the culture was populated by many artists and thinkers we still recognize today. It was home to Walter Benjamin, Bauhaus, Brecht's theater, Gรถdel's answer to Hilbert's second problem, Shoenberg's compositions, and Heisenberg (may have) come up with his uncertainty principle there. Sander decided to document this tumultuous time period and the diversity of his space and place.

He is known for his work representing all levels of society (the elite, middle class, workers, and outcasts) but I've chosen some of my favorites, which all happen to be working class people or outsiders.

 

The Bohemians, The Boxers, and Circus People

If anyone's feeling generous... I'd lovelove a copy of his giant book, People of the Twentieth Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment