17 January 2009

geeky geekery

Alright, so after that last post, I've been completely immersed in science, so here's a lovely list of great things that  somehow combine art and science.

Lately, I've been reading "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out" by Richard Feynman (physicist, philosopher, innovator, kindred soul) and everything just looks like physics to me.. So first, this nuke hugger t-shirt is environmentally friendly AND under Obama's plans, the creation of nuclear plants could create a ton of jobs. Physics rules.

Want more physics in your life?: try Boomshine. is a chain reaction game, and the colors are fantastic. It also has eaten up a significant amount of my free time lately, so be cautious..


Physics and art?: this illustration by  electricboogaloo is adorable, and makes the scientist in me smile. Plus... who doesn't love elephants? (and juniper, of course!)


Confession: To save some money this year, I spent countless hours giving my sewing machine some sweet, sweet lovin' and  the three of us (Al Green, the sewing machine, and I) hunkered down for a few days to make some fabulous home-made gifts. Although I didn't make this geeky gift set, I wish I had! It's perfect for any geek-chic nerds in your life.


Last etsy find, I promise!: I've finally allowed myself some time to remember how much I love and missed reading. (in addition to Feynman I'm reading "The Holy Barbarians" - Lawrence Lipton... a book by a Venice beach beatnik about Venice beach beatniks AND whose son is James Lipton. How cool!) This adorable poster by dazeychic says it all! The colors are so pleasing and upbeat... and the solid coloring juxtaposed with the subtle details in the books makes the viewing experience complete.

More books, please!: For Christmas, I received a fabulous find from my beautiful mother. It's called Microcosmos, and is filled with these fantastic SEM images (Scanning Electron Microscope) that creates "3D" images of things. They're then artificially colored, and they're just really exciting. This is the officially the newest, and most beloved, addition to my coffee table. (Sorry coasters!)


Coffee table talk: Ted Talks. Some of the world's best thinkers, speakers, and doers can be found sharing their secrets, and successes, research, and/or general thoughts. Isaac Mizrah, James Watson, Richard Dawkins, and others can be found here. Topics range from optimism to climate change, string theory (physics) to Rick Werren, and from bread to glamour. 

Okay, well that's about as geek-focused as I can be in one sitting.. but I'd love to hear what YOU think! Leave any suggestions you may have of other nerdy things to check out (for all those squares out there).. I know I'd love to read them!   Until next Friday...

1 comment:

  1. Based on the content of your blog here, I think you very much might like this website: http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

    Science and fun home projects! What could be more fun?!

    ReplyDelete