16 April 2011

the sky grows dark (if you're looking up)

"Please use one word to describe yourself" 
"What word would others use to describe you?"

I had a job interview last week. It was over the phone. I'd never really thought about it before but without the personal contact I felt the extreme strangeness of the situation... boiling yourself down to a few phrases and events and presenting it in a way that you think might make someone else interested... it's absurd.

I realized that these two phrases are a nice example of what I'm interested in and where my work comes from. The answers to these questions both successfully communicate something and fail to really say anything. They highlight this tension that I find so fascinating and the way we bridge the gap between us and other. We try and try and try and sometimes it works out. It's just so beautifully human.

Though, I'm not really expecting a call back any time soon. 
I used the word "determined"

No comments:

Post a Comment