16 March 2011

the night plays games

Like everyone else nearing the end of something, nearing a deadline, nearing an important date, nearing a big move-- I'm struggling.

In my work I am struggling with the boundary between too personal and not personal enough, with the difference between telling a story and trying to relate a specific set of events, and with trying to dig through my personal experiences and find those things that are relatable and interesting.. I'm trying to find a story in my own, ongoing narrative.
It feels futile, like writing a book about the Cold War in 1980. 

But Amy Casey does these things well. She took a recurring dream and has managed to pull years of quality work out of it. Not only that, but I actually like these pieces: the feel, the tension, the hesitation, the fear, the confidence. They're quietly beautiful.

This is personal done right. 

 


Damnit.

No comments:

Post a Comment