18 February 2011

Sh-Boom

I like this.

and this.

and this.

and this.

Meanwhile, I'm making this:

It seems anti-climactic... but I'm starting to think that it's not. I've always loved line, pattern, repetition, and anything that confuses the eye (or, more accurately, the brain). I'm interested in the difference between what exists and what we perceive-- and the differences between the collective "we see" and the individual "I see". One could argue that these differences are easiest to discuss through op art but I think it trickles down through the styles and is important to each individual viewing experience, regardless of genre. As an artist, I recognize people's differences in perception and I'm acutely aware that I view the world through a different filter than everyone and anyone else. I desire to communicate visually with others both because of and in spite of these differences. 

These pieces remind me of this struggle and remind me of these ideas more acutely than a lot of other work and this reminder enriches my other viewing experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment