15 February 2011

All I want is you


It's no secret that I love doughnuts. I blame it on watching too much Twin Peaks.

I also happen to be continually mesmerized by fat and the body. It's malfunctions and disfunctions and proper function. As a scientist, I've dedicated my life to figuring out how things work and how we work on a microscopic level but this obsession has made me prone to romanticism of the body as a whole. 

 When the complexity of something small like a cell is so overwhelming, it's hard to comprehend an entire body working, short of magic. For me, these paintings capture that magic and question the relationship between our bodies and what we put in them.

To me, the body is gross and gorgeous. What we do to it and feed it is equally gross and gorgeous. Gross and gorgeous is really my thing. and it appears to be Emily Eveleth's thing, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment