28 June 2010

If you find yourself caught in love

I've frequently run across Justin B. Nelson's work in my internet travels, and I think it's about time to share him with you all.


I'm currently obsessed with tying in my abstractions to something more tangible (side note: I do NOT believe that abstract works need to be tied to realistic images to be successful.. but in this very particular case my imagery would really benefit from an anchor). Nelson tries to do this in an interesting way. Relating abstraction to the figure can be a risky endeavor, and I admire his boldness.

Both photos from www.justinbryannelson.com/

His work is detailed and includes a lot of imagery I love: muscle striations, movement, pattern, abstraction, hair, noodles, and all things detailed and line-driven. I like that our work has similar elements but (at least appears to) come from completely different places and do completely different things.

Just something I've been digesting for awhile, I hope it has a similar effect on someone else out there.


IMPORTANT:
 you can find one of Nelson's pieces at My Love For You's Gulf Restoration Fundraiser! The fundraiser has collected beautiful works from tons of great artists.. and ends on the 5th! So hurry and snatch up some great works for an even better cause.

1 comment:

  1. I actually meant to comment on your blog a couple of days ago but never did for some reason! Anyway, thank you for following and enjoying my blog. I love your posts! You always have something insightful to say, and, thanks to you, now I can add Justin B. Nelson to my list of favorites. Can't wait to see the new projects you've been working on!

    P.S. If you ever do meet Damien (which is BOUND to happen, I mean REALLY) just, ya know, put in a good word for me. :)

    ReplyDelete