27 May 2010

like a monkey with a miniature symbol

Wow.
I should be (and am, slowly) working on this:

but instead have been focusing on this^


 I am so immeasurably excited to begin, so blinded by reluctance to leave what's good, and so wishing for more (time, space, lung capacity). There is so much to be discovered, so much to be written, and so much to be thought.

Tomorrow Tuesday (completely forgot that long weekend = no USPS) I'm shipping out my dearest belongings and praying they reach NYC before I do. I booked my train ticket yesterday to Rochester (yay for visiting friends!) and my ticket that will drop me in the middle of hectic, beautiful, adventure-filled New York City. I'm even budgeting out my stipend with major expenses in an attempt to keep some semblance of control on my impending city-induced money crunch.

-----------------------------------------
In the mean time, I want to share my love of and obsession with Eva Hesse's work. Partially a response to the impersonal nature of Minimalism, Hesse's work is soft, noncube, organic, and beautiful. As soon as I saw her work, I loved it. I felt immediately connected to it, enraptured by it, taken in by it. Then I saw one in person last summer at the MoMA. I just walked around a corner and it was THERE. Staring me in the face. The happiest surprise of the day (though seeing my first Rothko came in at a close second, but that was expected, planned, and this was not). 
(thanks, newsgrist.typepad)

I hope you enjoy her work, too. And please. Go see it in person. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment